There is no better way to realize how much stuff you have that you no longer use than facing the draconian task of organizing your closet. It’s amazing the quantity of non-practical items we are able to accumulate there through the years – even when you try to consume rationally and buy just one, two (or even none) new clothes per season.
So, if you are looking for ideas to downsize, but care about the environment and don’t want to get rid of things by throwing them away, you should pay attention to the following solution.
A few weeks ago we visited a very special second hand shop in Düsseldorf called BROKE (Tussmannstrasse 5). It was truly interesting to get to know the owner and discuss with her more in detail the way in which the business works. She told us, for instance, that everyone is welcome to bring their old clothes, shoes and accessories to be re-sold in there. Of course, the better the condition of the items, the more possibilities you have to succeed in your goal.
In this case, the prices are fixed in agreement between the owner of the clothes and the shop manager. The items will be shown at the store over a 3-month period and the benefits coming from the selling are divided 50% for each part. What means, not only will you gain space in your wardrobe but also a little economic profit will come out of it.
On the other hand, remember that second hand shopping brings us a lot of pleasures also from the consumer point of view:
o Environmental. You will be preventing the clothes from slowly decomposing in a landfill while releasing heavy metals into the soil and groundwater.
o Economical. You will save money when buying, and make money when selling.
o Sentimental. The clothes that have been worn by somebody else already have a story and, from the moment you buy them on, you will be responsible to continue writing that story. In a way, this means you will be connected to the complete stranger who first owned them… How fun is that?
A good pair of dancing shoes is a work of art. They are tough and resilient, and yet somehow adapt to your feet like a second skin that allows you to make the most of your movement.
When you are about to buy a new pair of dancing shoes, above all, you want them to be high quality. If it’s necessary, you will be saving money for a while or wait until you can get them as a present for your birthday. The reason for this is that they need to protect your feet and help you fly at the dancefloor – and only the best shoes (made from the appropriate materials) will successfully fulfil this mission. Read more →
8. Have that special bohemian touch. I don’t know about you, but, every time I step into a convertible dress, I immediately start exploring my hippiest side. I think it’s because of the original cut of the dress itself. Knowing that you are wearing a piece of clothing you can easily change into different styles makes you appreciate the freedom no pre-shaped clothes provide you with.
9. Can last forever. Since their versatility goes beyond limits, there is simply no reason to get tired of them. And, even if after years and years of wearing them you do get tired, the last thing to do would be to throw them away. Why? Because you can easily upcycle them into a nice skirt by having the straps removed.
10. Are incredibly sexy! Well, there is little explanation to give on this point… Judge for yourself!
4. Are perfect for matching bridesmaids. If you are getting married and want to have your closest girls dressing up harmonically, you should have a look at this option. You can choose long convertible dresses for them – not necessarily in the same colour, sometimes it looks even better if you go for a concrete palette of light blues or purples. This way you can get an awesome optical effect on your wedding pictures.
5. Adapt to changing life phases. Like we mentioned before, since this type of dresses fit different sizes, you don’t have to worry about not being able to use them if you gain or lose a couple of pounds. Actually, they even look great on pregnant women…
6. Connect with your personality. It’s nice to have a piece of clothing that shows how you are feeling, or even a part of what you are, to the world. Convertible dresses allow you to step out of the box by letting you decide what part of yourself you want to highlight on a concreate day. Do you want to show off that cool tattoo on your back? Would you like to attract the attention to your décolleté? Or, who knows, maybe today you are feeling more shy and want to wear them with a tube top and wider straps… It’s totally up to you!